Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Join our Graphic Novel Summer Reading Contest, June 21 - August 11, 2021!
Join our Graphic Novel Summer Reading Contest for a chance to win a MINI DRONE RC (SIMREX X300C). Check out books from the Hartford Public Library and enter the contest each time you read 3 graphic novel print books or ebooks. This contest is for youth ages 6-12.
1. Check out any graphic novel ebooks or print books from the Hartford Public Library
2. Come into the library to checkout your books or make an appointment to pick up your books.
3. Fill out a Contest Prize form, to get one ticket for every 3 books that you read.
How to put a book on hold
1. Go to our website www.hplct.org.
2. Click on the box that says "Search Catalog" and type in the title, author or subject of a book.
3. When the results to your search appear, click on the title you are interested in.
4. Now click the button that says, "Place Hold" and use your library card number and PIN (last 4 numbers on your library card) to place the book on hold.
5. Now pick the Hartford Public Library - Downtown Library to pick up your hold.
You are one step closer!
Now go to "How to pick up books"
I want to read Ebooks!
We have a lot of great ebooks too!
You can read ebooks on your computer, tablet or phone.
Here's where you can find ebooks for youth:
Bookflix - to log in, type in your library card number
Tumblebooks - no log in required, just click on the image
Here you will find more ebooks for children! To log in, enter your library card number or HPS Student ID number:
How to Participate
Every time you read 3 graphic novel books, fill out the Contest Prize form. You can fill out the form for every 3 books read, as many times as you need to:
Winners will be picked on Wednesday, August 11, during Nature Explorers: Patterns in Nature. Register here for the program.
How to pick up books
Now it's time to pick up your books!
You can make an appointment after a librarian calls you to let you know your books are ready.
Making an appointment is very quick.
Go to the button, "Schedule a Pickup" and select "Schedule a Pickup - Downtown" from the drop-down menu. If you need help, call the Children's Department at 860-695-6330.
Click the green button at the bottom of the page to schedule your appointment. From the online calendar that appears, click on the day and time for your pickup.
YOU DID IT! We'll see you soon!