Our Library of Things is a collection of non-traditional items to provide unique opportunities for lifelong learning, discovery, and engagement. It promotes sustainability by encouraging sharing, and the ability to try before you buy.
Why buy when you can borrow?
These items are all FREE to check out with your Library card!
General Borrowing Guidelines
If you are a Hartford resident you can reserve these items through our catalog
Library of Things items are limited to one item per household and the Library reserves the right to make an exception to this regulation
A Library of Things may be checked out for a loan period of 7 days. The Library reserves the right to make an exception or refuse this loan at its discretion. If the option to renew is possible, the item will renew automatically for 7 more days if there are no holds for another user
Library of Things items cannot be picked up from the Story Stash Locker
The Library of Things are to be returned in the same (or better) condition as it was issued, barring normal wear and tear
There are no late fees but customers will be billed for items that are not returned to the Library
The borrower is solely responsible for damage, lost, or theft of the individual items on the contents list
Click the PDF to access the full Library of Things Catalog
Browse items by category using the tabs on the left
How to Reserve an Item from Library of Things Using the Catalog
1. Navigate to our website at hplct.org
2. On our homepage, click on "My Account"
3. At the top right of the page, click "Log In"
4. Enter you library card number and 4 digit pin
5. Navigate to the catalog search bar. Click the drop down and select the "Library of Things" filter
6. Enter the name of the item you're interested in. Here, see "air fryer."
7. The listing for the item will appear.
8. Click on the "place hold button to the right"
9. Choose your branch pickup location from the drop down menu
10. You will see a confirmation that your hold was placed successfully
If you have any questions or need assistance, please call or visit any of our branches throughout the city!
Hartford Public Library
Central Branch: 500 Main Street. Hartford, CT 06103
Phone: 860-695-6300 | Text: 860-530-4376 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Chat: www.hplct.org
For Branch locations and hours, click here.